Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Who’s Watching Me?

Jeremiah 23:24“Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the LORD.

Matthew 6:3-4… your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.


I remember sometime, circa the 80’s…cruising through downtown Jefferson, late night, windows down, radio up, blasting my Maxwell cassette...“I always feel like, somebody’s waaaatching me.” (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, watch your Geico commercials more often.) Man, Michael Jackson could’ve sung the phone book back then and people would still love it. Mmmm. Good times. Cheesy music, but good times.

In the song, the singer feels like someone is always watching him. I feel like that myself sometimes. But we all know that isn’t completely true. There are times when we’re all alone. When no one is around. Not another person. When no one is watching or listening.

No parents. No siblings. No kids. No spouse. No friends or neighbors or co-workers. No boss. No preacher. No public official to lay down the law.

It’s important to note that it’s in these times when God expects the most from us.

So let me ask you the same question I asked myself the other day. “What do you do when no one is watching?”

Better yet, “If you knew that you absolutely could not be caught, would you still do what is right?”

It could be something as simple as driving over the speed limit. Or stealing something valuable. Or something cheap. Or talking about someone behind their back. Goofing off at your job. Watching a TV show with foul language. Use your imagination…it could be anything. Big or small.

It’s not always easy to be honorable, honest, forthright, compassionate, sincere, helpful, selfless, thoughtful. Holy. We live in a time when it isn’t always fashionable to be a nice guy.

But as hard as it is to follow God’s plan for us, anytime of the day, let’s be honest, isn’t it infinitely tougher when you don’t have anyone to hold you accountable? My answer is “yes”. It is for me. That’s why I announce my intentions so often. I want folks in my circle to hold my feet to the fire and keep me true.

But despite our best intentions to surround ourselves with friends and helpers and encouragers, there will still be times when we’re going to fly solo.

But even in these times, God is always there. God is always watching, always near, always listening, always waiting. Not in a big-brother kind of way, but as a loving Father.

When no one is watching you but God, when no one else is there to notice your sin, when you know you won’t be seen, and yet you still choose to do the right thing, knowing that you won’t receive any attention, praise or pat on the back for it…I believe that these are the times when God says “Now that’s what I’m talking about”.

These are the times when God will reward you for honoring Him with your sincerity. Not because someone will notice. Not because someone will see you. Not even so you can be an example to others. But simply because you know it will make Him proud of you.

Remember that as you go through your day and as you take on your challenges and goals. As you meet and face your mountains today, God will be watching you to see how you handle yourself when you slip out of normal view. And He will reward you for the honorable things you do for Him, in secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment