Thursday, April 12, 2012

Living Stones

I recently listened to a message series form the fabulous Bob Kauflin (ala Sovereign Grace Ministries). How compelling and convicting his words were.

The context of one of his segments was I Peter 2:4-5. A passage I had, amazingly read a million times, but never noticed how poignant it is. The phrase “living stones” jumped out at me, having taken notice of it for the very first time.

After listening to Bob's message, I started asking myself questions. And from a musical (particularly a worship leading) perspective, I had to start evaluating and asking myself about my heart for service, in a way that not only uses God’s gifts, but considers His divine will as my baseline for all I do.

Through the writing and playing of songs, the issue of usability always comes into play. Not usability of the songs per se, but of me. How useable am I allowing myself to be? How deep am I willing to let God lead me? Am I really fully sacrificing my own will, for the will of God? Is my own ego preventing these songs from being effective instruments of grace/praise/compassion? (Whew, that last one's a tough one.)

While there are times when I am lukewarm and uncertain, God’s word is abundantly clear and unmistakable when it comes to the issue of His desire to use His people. I look at us, in the context of Peter’s writings (below scripture), as bricks that God is carefully selecting and placing, in the construction of His magnificent structure.

And like our master living Stone, Jesus is the chief and perfect Cornerstone of that building. We are products of Him, re-created for the purpose of God’s good pleasure.

I pray that the songs the Holy Spirit urges us to sing at our Church (and your church) this Sunday (and any Sunday), will speak to each of us and remind us of the glorious purpose for which God has destined us. That being, that we are living stones, and through the singing of and listening to music like this, we are honoring our Father, undertaking part of our priestly duties, and offering willing sacrifices of song to our Lord God.

I think I feel like singing! :)

-Ricky

Scripture: I Peter 2:4-5 - As you come to Him, the living Stone, rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him, you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Lord, move in me, and use me, and show me Your heart for me. Remind me that Your children are the Body of Christ and You use Your obedient people to demonstrate Your love to the dying and lost. Build Your vision of love, and let me be a living stone within it, in the same fashion as Jesus, the Cornerstone. In His name I pray…Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment