Thursday, September 10, 2009

Throw-up

Revelation 3:15-16 - I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I will spit you out of my mouth.

I was thinking about some of the things I have to do, musically. Friends I have to meet that I haven’t seen in a few weeks or longer. Folks who haven’t really talked with me since I made the decision to turn my life in a new direction. And I felt a little nervousness, just thinking about it.

There’s something unnerving to most of us when it comes to making a stand, especially if you aren’t sure how popular it will be or what may or may not be said behind your back, after you leave the scene.

The more I thought about explaining myself, the more I got this lump in my throat. Almost like I was about to throw up. (I know, there is no socially acceptable term for throwing up, is there?)

And that’s what brought me to this passage.

I remember a friend of mine, actually my best friend at the time, standing up as a teenager at church camp and putting this verse in layman’s terms for us. I’ll never forget it.

The scripture for today’s devotional comes from the book of Revelation, as I’m sure you’ve already noticed. Heavy stuff as a rule, but what Christ has to tell us here is pretty blunt.

Jesus has never been one to be half-way about things. “Get up and walk”, “Get thee behind me”…you remember. He means what He says and generally says what He means. He’s a pretty blunt guy.

And He expects a certain level of frankness (I believe) from His followers too. When it comes to matters of faith or belief or salvation, you know, the big stuff, I believe He expects nothing less than absolute single-mindedness.

All the way, off the fence, left or right, in or out or as He puts it “hot or cold”. Anything in the middle is just unacceptable to Him. And if you’re lukewarm, He plainly says He will spit you out.

I don’t want to be throw-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment