Monday, December 7, 2009

My Granddaddy's Things

I have a box…actually several boxes…of my granddaddy’s things. Many of them, from his time in the Army during WWII. Serviceman’s Bible, wool earmuffs, maps, brochures and flyers, ticket stubs, pictures, postcards and “official” letters from all over Europe.

He didn’t fight at Normandy or escape from some Nazi prison camp. He didn’t save a platoon or rescue a sinking ship. But he served as a humble mechanic and that was enough to keep the troops rolling across Europe.

And that was his M.O., as far as I know, for his entire life.

Those things are some of my most prized possessions. Not because they’re valuable or collectible. But because they belonged to a man that I respected and admired and loved, very deeply. My hero and my compass in life when I’m facing new situations or when I don’t know what I should do.

Those things remind me of him and that I am also a part of him. He lives in me and hopefully, some of the better parts of him will surface in my own life and personality. Should I be so lucky.

I was thinking today, how we share a similar relationship with Christ. We are His and He is ours. He lives in and through us. And because we belong to Him, we become precious. Not because we’re beautiful or talented or gifted or athletic…but simply because we belong to Him.

And knowing that, it reminds me that I have a great responsibility. To conduct myself in a way that will bring honor to Him (and to my granddaddy). Because people will not only size me up based upon my actions, but they also form and revise their opinions of the ones to whom I belong, largely because of the way I act. And the way you act.

It’s a great privilege and an even greater responsibility to be loved. :) That gives a whole new meaning to the idea…the things that belong to you will help to define you in the eyes of the world.

I pray today…Father, please help me remember who I belong to. Help me to act in a way that will glorify, and not embarrass you. The people I meet will judge You by watching me. I want to make You proud of me by being the man You would be in my shoes. I pray in Jesus’ name…Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment